Have you been dealing with persistent sinus pressure and congestion? If so, you may be suffering from sinusitis, an inflammation or infection of the lining of your nasal cavity. Sinus infections are more common than you may think – in fact, around 37 million Americans suffer from sinusitis each year. (Sinusitis Facts, 2022) Fortunately, Colorado ENT & Allergy is here to provide reliable care and treatment for those facing sinus issues this spring.
Understanding Sinus Issues
When the mucous membranes in your nose become swollen and inflamed due to the presence of colds or allergies, this can cause a blockage in the openings that connect your nasal passages to your sinuses. This can lead to a buildup of mucous that eventually causes pain and pressure around the eyes, cheeks, forehead, and nose. Sinus infections can be caused by viral or bacterial infections and may last anywhere between 4-12 weeks depending on the severity of the infection.
Symptoms of Sinus Infections
It’s important to be aware of any signs or symptoms that could indicate a possible sinus infection. Common symptoms include:
- Pressure and pain around your face, especially near the forehead, cheeks, eyes, and/or nose.
- Congestion in your nasal passages accompanied by thick yellow or green mucus.
- Headaches due to inflammation of the membranes surrounding the head and face.
- Difficulty breathing through one or both nostrils due to swelling in the nasal passages.
- Fatigue as a result of poor sleep quality caused by blocked nasal passages.
When to See an ENT?
If you’ve been experiencing any symptoms listed above for more than 12 days then it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible so that an accurate diagnosis can be given.
How to Treat Sinusitis?
At Colorado ENT & Allergy our ear, nose, and throat specialists are experienced in treating all types of sinus infections with proven techniques such as:
- Antibiotic therapy
- Saline rinses for nasal decongestion
- Steroid inhalers for reducing inflammation within the airways
- Immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis management
- Balloon sinuplasty (A minimally invasive procedure designed specifically for relieving chronic cases of sinusitis. Targeted balloon dilation aims to treat the affected areas of the paranasal sinuses without causing serious damage to surrounding tissues.)
Sinusitis is an incredibly common condition that can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms. But, with the help of Colorado ENT & Allergy’s experienced specialists and their proven sinus treatments, you can get back to feeling your best in no time! If you think you may be experiencing any signs or symptoms related to sinus infections don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment to see one of our trusted ear, nose, and throat specialists.
Sinusitis Facts. (2022). Archbold Medical Center. https://archbold.org/services/ear-nose-throat-and-allergy-center/sinusitis-facts